Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Customer Service Tangent

This post is going to go out on a limb a little bit in regards to reading and writing. I say a little bit but, in all honesty, it has nothing to do with reading and writing and everything to do with customer service.

Some of my friends have been getting terrible customer service lately...most notably Nicole. In this economy, businesses can't afford to give lousy customer service. But my story of customer service is a great one.


Last night I met my parents at the Bangor Olive Garden for dinner. Mom had a coupon she was prominently displaying for all to see. $4.00 two dinner entrees. Being the pig that I am I ordered my own dinner while my parents decided to split one. Our waitress, Amanda, asked my parents if they would like the kitchen to split the meal on two different plates for them. Wonderful!

My capellini came out superb but my parents meal wasn't what they had ordered. Oops.

Amanda was so nice. "I'm so sorry!" she apologized. "I just had it in my head you wanted the chicken and broccoli!" She had my parents start with their chicken and broccoli while she had the kitchen make them what they really ordered. Two meals for one! We all got to try the wrong meal while waiting for the right one.

My parents and I are pretty laid back people -- we don't get wound up about stuff like this. Regardless, Amanda had her manager take their meal off the check. Nice! What would have been a $24 dollar meal just turned into one for $11!

Not one to shy away from a deal, my mom asked about the $4 off coupon. Amanda went ahead and took the additional money off and our meal ended up being $6.96! Wow!

Due to patience, kindness, and a great waitress and manager, we ate three great meals for what it would cost for one meal at McDonalds. AND we got the left over chicken and broccoli dish and breadsticks to take home. Kudos to the Olive Garden!

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Good for them! Good customer service is often hard to find.

Anonymous said...

wow... home come i wasn't invited to have a free meal?

Anonymous said...

Yup, just as important to write about the good customer service. Good for you... and Olive Garden!