Friday, March 13, 2009

My friend the Poet

I'd like to introduce to you my friend Jennifer Wlodarski. Isn't she cute? She is a medical student at the University of Vermont and has just won an award: an honorable mention in the 27th Annual William Carlos Williams Poetry Competition.
Open to medical students attending schools of medicine or osteopathy in the United States and Canada, the competition is named in memory of William Carlos Williams, a physician-poet born in 1883 who practiced medicine in his hometown of Rutherford, N.J., while writing and publishing poetry with peers including Ezra Pound. Poems in the competition, which were judged on the basis of craftsmanship, originality and content, must be original, unpublished (except for college publications) and have not won a contest at time of submission.
I am so proud of her! Jenn's poem, Slow Horse, is below for your reading pleasure.

Slow Horse


Comeback and outlast,

Like
the slow horse.

All bets are in.

And
I've got all
my money
on myself,

Because
someone should.

— Jennifer Wlodarski

No comments: